Thursday 1 May 2014

Book Review: Cutting for Stone






I see to be in a habit of reading "real" books these days, and after hearing all of the talk about this book, I finally had to pick it up.
I love medical stuff anyway. I've always had a fascination for technical descriptions and surgery and all of that. I am also a sucker for books about kids, especially told by the kid's pov. So, sold.
The story is from Marion Stone's perspective. He's a twin born to a nun nurse and a surgeon father, and if you want the whole description, you can certainly read it HERE on Amazon.

The two greatest things about this book were One: The plot, which was so masterfully put together, spanning years of the characters' lives to come full circle. Verghese's vast knowledge of medicine as well as his cleverness in writing worked so perfectly I was at times baffled how he'd managed to come up with it. Certain small things one doesn't notice till the end suddenly become incredibly important.
The Second thing I loved so greatly was the characters. Marion and Shiva are twins, joined at the head at birth, and their relationship throughout the book shows the love of brothers, despite circumstances that pull siblings apart (involving a girl, as always). Shiva is distant, detached, perhaps a bit on the side of Asperger's, Marion is the opposite. I'll admit, I do tend to cry on books, when the stories are good, and I grow to love the characters, and the journey that these two boys go on would have brought me to an ugly mess near the end had I not been reading it in the break room at work.

Reading Cutting for Stone, you will not be disappointed with writing or style. The slower plot points and medical scenes are written in a way that is both understandable, and interesting. It's a book about family, about estranged fathers, unrequited love, the struggle for a place in the world, and the bond of siblings that cannot be broken.
If you're into that, then you'll love this.

No comments:

Post a Comment