Saturday 2 April 2016

Murder I Wrote!

I haven't written a rambling post about writing in a shamefully long time so you get one now.

Mainly writing out of triumph--and perhaps a little trepidation--over the new tale I've spun. It probably comes as a surprise to absolutely no one that I am a fan of mysteries. Sherlock Holmes my great hero, Inspector Poirot, Morse, Lewis, Marple have all been some of my absolute favourite tales. It is, however, a genre that has always intimidated me and I swore when I started writing that I would never try and write one. Why? Because mysteries are exact, mysteries are challenging. If a mystery isn't right you know it immediately. Therefor I was willing to leave murder (heh) to the professionals, simply to enjoy and never to write and stay in my playground of science fiction and fantasy.
Well, then I watched Broadchurch and damn it, I couldn't get an idea out of my head. And so for perhaps the last...oh, 3 months? I have been wandering the hills of Dartmoor in Victorian England (figuratively, I'm sad to say), researching, plotting and more or less chained to my keyboard.
Today I can proudly say I have finished the first draft of my first murder mystery story and I'm quite chuffed about it. It's been intimidating, and difficult (have to research EVERYTHING) but I believe it will be quite rewarding.
So you have something to look forward to for your summer reading (hopefully)!
Don't worry, book 4 of Alternate Worlds is coming, and I have another story in the works as well that hopefully you'll all enjoy as well.

For now I'll be back in Dartmoor, walking the same hills as the Hound of the Baskervilles and polishing this up to something hopefully worthy of your reading. 

 Cheers for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment